Monday 23 November 2015

New Netflix Parental Control Settings!

Are you a Netflix subscriber? Up until recently, Netflix didn't offer any kind of parental control settings. This meant that if you wanted to ensure that your kids didn't access inappropriate content, you would have to go into the settings and block content for all users. For example, I could ensure that all content rated higher than PG would be blocked, but that meant that if I (as a parent) wanted to view something rated higher than PG I would have to go online and adjust the settings to allow it. After I was done my viewing, I would then have to adjust the settings online all over again. The problem with this, aside from the huge inconvenience, was that if I were to forget to change the settings, it meant that my kids could potentially access mature rated content at a click of a button. A few months ago, I spoke to a Netflix representative about this problem, and I'm pleased to let you know that they've actually done something about it!

If you use Netflix, just follow this link https://www.netflix.com/pin and enter your account password.


You will then get to choose a 4 digit parent control PIN code and select the level of content that you want restricted. For example, if you set your PIN to restrict any content rated above PG, when you click on any movie or TV program that is rated higher than PG, it will require you to enter your PIN before that content can be viewed.


Not only is this a necessary safeguard for parents with kids, but it is also a good accountability setting if you want to restrict your own personal viewing of mature rated content. In this case, you could just get your spouse or trusted friend to set up the PIN for you.

Thank you Netflix for incorporating these new parental control settings into your service! Parents please take advantage of this new feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment